Not much is known about the Victorian-era jewelry maker Carter, Gough & Co., yet the pieces that bear their insignia are very valuable. Stamped with their trademark letter “C” inside an arrowhead, their designs were also often inscribed with the carat weight of gold and the date.
Started in Newark, New Jersey, in 1841 by Aaron Carter, the company changed names as partners came and went. In 1850, the firm was the first to use the power of the steam engine to manufacture its jewelry pieces, such as stickpins, cufflinks, lockets, pins, and coin purses.
The company’s founder died in 1902, and his son, William Tuttle Carter, took over the firm. It wasn’t until around 1915 that the official name of Carter, Gough & Co., was used. The design house became one of the largest jewelry producers in the world during its time and often manufactured what was en vogue for the period.
Pieces from Carter, Gough & Co. exist in Victorian, Edwardian, Art Deco, and Art Noveau styles. The firm was also known for its gold enameled work and variety of styles. Although there is not much on record for this design house, collectors still hold their pieces in high regard due to the quality and ability to withstand the test of time while defining an era.